Polperro Fishermen's Choir
History of the Polperro Fishermen's ChoirThe Polperro Fishermens Choir was formed in 1923 by Eva Cloke & Thomas Mark, a lay-preacher who was known as the "Fishermens Bishop". This was in the days when fishermen were hardy and relied on their seamanship and their belief in God to carry them safely home. The fishermen would sing hymns and songs whilst they worked.
With the decline of the fishing industry, the choir suffered losses
until other tradesmen from the village joined the choir. Very soon the
choir was singing regularly in the village and around Cornwall, mainly
at religious services where they praised the Harvest of the sea.
Until 1982 the choir uniform was a rough home knitted roll-necked jersey,
which was knitted by the wives and daughters for their men folk. In 1982
the uniform changed to a black blazer and roll neck shirt, with a blazer
After Evas death, Jack Libby led the choir in concerts throughout
the south of England, bringing pleasure to audiences and performers alike.
His devotion and enthusiasm made the choir what it is today. On the 6th
September 1986, in recognition of his services to choral music in Cornwall,
Jack Libby was received into the Gorsedd of Cornwall as a Bard and assumed
the Bardic name Map Porthpyre', which translated, means Son
The Polperro Fishermen's Choir today
The choir has made several television and radio appearances, including
Songs of Praise from Polperro for BBC TV. When Songs of Praise
was broadcast in Australia and the USA, the choir began receiving fan
mail. In 1998, they were proud to appear with the Polperro Ladies Choir
in a Festival of Choirs at Plymouth Guildhall.
Phil Carrigan, Musical Director of the Polperro Fishermen's Choir
Contacting the Polperro Fishermen's Choir:
For further information about the Polperro Fishermen's Choir, future bookings and contact details, click here to visit the Choir's website.